Monday 30 September 2013

Why I Can't Take a Break From Being A Writer

"You may be able to take a break from writing, but you won't be able to take a break from being a writer..." Stephen Leigh
Image courtesy of chokphoto / freedigitalphotos.net 


If there is one thing that I have learnt over the past couple of months, it is the truth of the quote above. Taking a break from blogging (and my other writing to an extent) certainly reinforced to me that I am indeed a writer. Even when not actively engaged in the process, I could not stop my brain from thinking about my writing if I tried. In those rare quiet moments when I let my mind drift, I would always start thinking through the plot of my WIP, or ideas for new stories or blog posts. Even something as simple as watching the tv would get me thinking up new plot twists.

I have also discovered that I can no longer read a book in quite the same way. I am probably more critical now because I notice any slip ups a lot sooner, but I am also more appreciative of the good stuff. I know first hand how hard it is, so when a piece of writing comes off as effortless I have to slow down and admire it it and work out how they did it.

How about you? Are you ever able to take a break from being a writer? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment