Thursday 26 September 2013

Review of Structuring Your Novel by K.M. Weiland


Description (from Amazon)


Cover links to Amazon
Is Structure the Hidden Foundation of All Successful Stories?

Why do some stories work and others don’t? The answer is structure. In this new guide from the author of the bestselling Outlining Your Novel, you will learn the universal underpinnings that guarantee powerful plot and character arcs. An understanding of proper story and scene structure will show you how to perfectly time your story’s major events and will provide you with an unerring standard against which to evaluate your novel’s pacing and progression.

Structuring Your Novel will show you:

  • How to determine the best techniques for empowering your unique and personal vision for your story.

  • How to identify common structural weaknesses and flip them around into stunning strengths.

  • How to eliminate saggy middles by discovering your “centerpiece.”

  • Why you should NEVER include conflict in every scene.

  • How to discover the questions you don’t want readers asking about your plot—and then how to get them to ask the right questions.
Story structure has enabled countless bestselling and classic authors. Now it’s your turn! 


My Review



Over the years I have read a pretty large number of books on the craft of writing and found that I already knew all the points K.M. Weiland discusses in this book. The difference is the accessibility of the information being given. Her clear and uncluttered writing style is perfect for not only teaching you about structure, but also helping you understand it in context and use it yourself.

I have been increasingly stuck with my current WIP and I credit K.M. Weiland and this book with giving me a knew vitality for the project. As I read through the text I was having so many ideas that would help unstick my plot that I was furiously taking down notes the whole time. 

I highly recommend this book to all writers, at any stage in their career. Just make sure you have a notebook handy!

I give Structuring Your Novel 4 out of 5 stars.


My Rating System:
1 star: I will never post a 1 star review because this means it was so bad I couldn't finish it, and I don't won't publicly rate a book I haven't read all the way through.
2 stars: I may have liked the story but it was badly written or it may have been a boring story well written. Something about it kept me reading but I didn't enjoy it.
3 stars: A good, enjoyable read. If the description appeals to you I'd recommend reading it.
4 stars: A really good book that I thoroughly enjoyed and may even read again. I will want to read other books by the same author. Highly recommend.
5 stars: Reserved for books that blew me away and whose characters I can't get out of my head. These are books that I will definitely read again, possibly several times. If I read an e-book version I may even have to go buy a hard copy for my shelves. Why are you still here? Go read this book right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment