Monday 13 May 2013

Get Writing: A Timely Reminder

Image courtesy of nuttakit / freedigitalphotos.net
"Inspiration usually comes during work, not before it." Madeleine L'Engle

These are wise words, and ones I sorely needed to hear/read this week. Last month was so busy with the A-Z Challenge and everything else I had going on in my life that my fiction writing didn't so much take a back burner as get put in cold storage, and it's taking some time to thaw out.

As I mentioned in A to Z Reflections post last, my macbook decided to give up the ghost and I am having to make do with an old windows laptop from the stone ages. Although all my writing is saved in the cloud (thank god!) it is all in Scrivener files and I don't have that on this laptop. I'm waiting until I get a new macbook next month and then I can install it on there. Anyway, I have been kind of using this as a way of justifying why I haven't been doing any writing this month, that and the fact that I am totally lacking in inspiration at the minute.

Reading this quote though made me realise that the inspiration is never going to come back until I start putting in the work. It's one of those things that we all know as writer's but conveniently forget every now and then. I don't need access to my old writing to be able to produce new writing, and even if this computer is slow and takes forever to boot up, there is always good old fashioned pen and paper.

So, this week I am making a concerted effort to get back to my writing so that I am in the right place when my inspiration does finally come back.

How about you? Do you find yourself making excuses when inspiration is lacking? How do you snap yourself back out it? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment