Friday 19 April 2013

Q is for Quality vs Quantity

How do you measure a successful writing session?
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / freedigitalphotos.net

Quality


You may have spent hours or just a few minutes on your wip, and your word count may be low, but what you have written is of a high standard. It may take you longer to complete a first draft, but you will likely need fewer edits.

Quantity


You have produced a high word count and will get through a first draft much faster, however the writing will need heavy editing.

For me, I prefer to go for quantity. Aiming for quality in a first draft is a sure-fire way to send my internal editor into overdrive and block me up completely and nothing would ever get finished. As both Nora Roberts and Jodi Picoult have said - "You can't edit a blank page." By shutting the internal editor off and just writing down as much as I can I do at least end up with a finished draft that I can then let my editor loose on.

I was talking this over with my brother last night (he's a writer too) and he said something true that I am sure you have all heard at one time - quantity breeds quality. The more we write, the better the writing becomes.

What do you think? Do you aim for quality in a writing session, or just get down as much as possible and work on the quality later? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment