Monday 7 January 2013

Writer's Anonymous


If you are anything like me then you will know that getting started is always the hardest part. I have been trying to come up with something exciting and witty for my first post and basically using that as an excuse not to start at all. So, out with the exciting and witty and in with just a standard introduction about me and what I hope to achieve with this blog.

Who Am I?

I am the chronically shy person who really hated all those new classes or groups where you were asked to stand up and introduce yourself, so I’ll keep this part brief. My name is Alana, I’m a full-time mother to a very energetic 3 year old boy, and I’m a writer. I’ve only recently started admitting that one, the writing not the motherhood, so I feel like I have just taken the first step in some sort of Writer’s Anonymous program. 

Why This Blog?
  • Owning It I have wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember, but for some reason it was a part of myself that I always kept hidden, scribbling away in notebooks every once in a while and then hiding them at the bottom of a drawer. In recent years I have told those closest to me about my dreams but despite having written two draft novels and working on a third I still find it hard to call myself a writer. This blog is a way for me to overcome that.
  • Accountability I have always worked best when I have a deadline or someone to hold me accountable, otherwise I am too easily distracted. I am hoping that reporting my progress on here once a month I will be holding myself accountable to anyone who may be reading. And no-one wants to broadcast to the world that they have done nothing!
  • Community Writing can be quite isolating, especially when you have no other writers to connect with who understand what you are going through and what makes you tick. So, I am hoping to build up a community of like-minded people wherever they may be on their own writing journey.

Planned Schedule

Initially I will be posting just twice a week (on the days my son is in pre-school), but may increase this further down the line.

Monday’s: Learning from the Masters. I don’t claim to be an expert, but over the years I have collected many quotes from people who are. Each Monday I will take a quote and write how we can apply it to our own writing.

Wednesday’s: To begin with Wednesday’s will be a mixture of topics, from things that have inspired me that week, to book reviews and progress updates. 

How About You?

What first step did you take towards admitting to this writing addiction? Or are you still in hiding? I would love to hear your story.

Also, if you have any suggestions for topics you would be interested in reading about just let me know in the comments below. For anyone interested in being a guest blogger on Dream Believe Write drop me an email to alanamander(at)gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment