Wednesday 30 January 2013

Review of 20,000 Days and Counting


In last week's post I mentioned that I had heard about a new book that claimed thinking about your life in terms of days, rather than years, could change your whole outlook and help you achieve more. Interested by the idea I ordered a copy right away and it arrived on my doorstep yesterday morning, just as I was wondering what on earth I was going to post today. It must be fate!

20,000 Days and Counting

Author: Robert D Smith 

Backcover Copy

Most people measure their lives in years.
But how would our thought processes change if we measured our lives in days? On the 20,000th day of his life, Robert D. Smith decided to put this concept to the test. He spent the next 48 hours planning his next 20,000 days - and walked away with life-changing information.

Through a combination of captivating storytelling and step-by-step instructions, Smith reveals a simple plan that will allow you to master your life, starting right now.

My Thoughts

The author does state on his website, and at the start of the book, that it was designed to be read in an hour, so I knew the book would be short. However, when I first picked it up I did  momentarily think "This is it? This is all I'm getting for my money?" That didn't last long. The fact that it can be read in an hour (I read it in a few snatches of time while my toddler was pre-occupied) is actually a big bonus, because I know that it is a book that I will pick up and read again and again over the course of my life, maybe even several times a year when I need a bit of a boost. What you get out of this book is worth far more than the price.

The style is conversational and not only do you feel you get to know the writer but that he really is looking out for you and wanting for you to 'get' this new way of living. It feels very personal.

This book has indeed given me a whole new outlook on my life and what I want to achieve every day. In fact, I achieved more in the day I read it than I had done all month. It really is inspirational and I heartily recommend that you all go out and buy it or loan it from the library.

Today I am 11976 days old. I see 12,000 days as being my next milestone and I want to be able to celebrate on that day and see that I have changed my life for the better and I intend to spend the next 24 days putting everything I have learned into practice.

Rating: 5/5

How many days old are you today? Take a look at the website therobertd.com to find out more about the book and use the simple online tool for calculating your days and see what impact that number has on your life today.

Come back and let us know in the comments how many days you have been alive and how discovering this number has affected you. What is your next milestone and where do you hope to be by then?

No comments:

Post a Comment